Saturday, May 29, 2010

Next Month's Challenge

Next month my fiance and I are going to try to eat on $4 per day. Since I have started making everything from scratch this won't be too difficult but there will be some difficult things. When something goes wrong with my lunch (which seems to happen with some regularity unfortunately) I won't be able to go out and just buy a fast food replacement. I will have to subsist on free food from the office snack cabinet until I get home. We have apple chips and 100 calorie packs in the office for everyone so I won't be unfed, just not eating what I want. Those things will not count towards my $4 since they are free. The other problem is that my fiance is convinced that this will leave him starving to death by the end of the month. I explained that lots of people on the internet are managing to live on $1 per day but I upped our daily budget because we are not vegetarians and we are living in NYC so things tend to be more expensive for us. He still thinks this will leave him desperate for food but I am going to aim to keep him on about a 2500 calorie per day diet which isn't enough to starve anyone. I am going to aim to keep myself on a 1900 calorie per day diet which is less than I am eating now but plenty for a 27 year old woman.

As for today I think I am going to make rice and something else for dinner. We are going to walk to Zabars so we will get plenty of cheese and some of my favorite sodas (they are super low sugar) and some coffee for Ben. It is about a 70 block walk so it will take a while but we need the exercise so we are happy to do it. And because it is sunny out I have an excuse to wear my new hat with the wide brim! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment