Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spaghetti Sauce

Today I had leftover pancakes for breakfast and I am going to make my own spaghetti sauce for spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I haven't decided on lunch yet.

My fiance thinks that making everything from as close to scratch as possible is a little nuts. He doesn't trust that I will be able to make decent versions of food (which, granted, is probably a little accurate since I've never done this kind of thing before) and that he will be forced to eat horrible food that he doesn't like for 3 weeks while I get the hang of this. I hope to prove him wrong!

Here is my spaghetti sauce recipe:

5 cloves minced garlic
1/2 an onion, sliced
1/4 c. olive oil
2 28 oz cans of peeled tomatoes
1 tsp salt (the recipe calls for 2 tsp salt but I am trying to watch my salt intake so I halved the amount)
1 tsp sugar
1 bay leaf
1 can tomato paste
3/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper

Saute garlic and onion over medium heat until onion is translucent. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer 90 minutes. Stir in paste, basil and pepper. Add meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more.

I got this at Allrecipes.com so my hope is that it tastes as good as it sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment